Tong Gu Ling

My first mountain trip on Hainan:


We start early in the morning for me when classes are not in session:

I got up sround 7, showered and put some food on to heat for breakfast. I was sweeping my spare room which had just been de-moldfied and reorganized by the cleaning ladies Joanne and I hired to do a once and for all thorough job since only euro-bachelors had been living here, when the girls arrived.


They are Mary, Charlene, Stephanie, Lucy and one other freshman who is really quiet. They are students of mine from various classes. We had planned this trip at the last "English Chat" a conversation group that meets in my livingroom, together with two older students Allison and Stacy. They invite their friend Robbie who is a local Wenchang girl and knows the way better than anyone else. Unfortunately, she also gets really carsick. The mountain is called, TongGuLing, near Crescent Moon Beach about an hour outside Wenchang City.






First we go shopping for the picnic we'll have on the mountain top: boiled eggs, fresh honey bread, three kinds of rice porridge, green apple-fruit, juice and of course water.

To get there, we walk to the mini-bus stop and pay 6 rmb to a village closest to Tong Gu Ling, and from there we take three-wheeled rickshaws (13rmb) to the mountain base where a paved path begins. Tong Gu Ling also has an old staircase of stone path, but the older girls felt it was too dangerous. A beautiful mountain dog meets us there are accompanies us part of the way.













I feel rejuvenated as we climb higher and higher while the girls complain of tiredness which surprises me since I am nearly ten years older and have taken up a ciggarette almost once a day now. The views are breathtaking and I'm not sure photos can do justice.

There's a temple at the top which gives us a chance to catch our breath and reflect upon the journey.


Later, after decorating the stage for the Christmas show, I will go to the studio to paint my experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heal the activists, the tired, the hungry, the angry and the improper: arts and scientists can synthesize the new approach to how we imagine the human race.

The Outside and the Inside are Inseparable

Aliveness