A Little Sugar In My Bowl?


These black goats spooked me a little bit while I was taking a walk in the country side. I never realized how far set apart their red eyes were! Plus, they're red! They watched me with caution as I made my way pass them, probably as spooked as I was. I enjoy walking in the country and finding animals because it reminds me that we do share this planet with other amazing creatures.

Strolling down the streets of Wenchang, during the Happy Days celebration, people are jolly, shopping and eating, usually food in hand. Happy Days is a carnival promoting Hainan, when celebrities and important officials come to visit whichever city is hosting it that year. Scaffolding are covered up by billboards boasting the promise of sunny beaches and coconuts, while less attractive "hole in the wall" restaurants and stores visible from the main streets receive quick makeovers in the form of treated wood fences which transform them into quaint island cottages.

I spend some time at the studio experimenting with Chinese brushes to recreate masterpieces I find inspiring.

Pictured with me near her dorm is my friend Lydia from Sichuan province. She is wearing a traditional dress called 'qi pao,' which is close fitting, sleeveless, with a high collar. We are on our way to have dinner at a chain restaurant where many students work including our friend Nicole from northern China. At 'Bi Fen Gang Wan' we enjoy seafood on rice in a hot clay pot, lemon duck, white mushrooms and really rich icecream on top of fresh fruit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heal the activists, the tired, the hungry, the angry and the improper: arts and scientists can synthesize the new approach to how we imagine the human race.

The Outside and the Inside are Inseparable

Aliveness