
As the airplane descended towards Shenzhen International, it began to rain- cloaking the airport in grey urban atmosphere comparable to New York. The fields outlying beyond the city's grid of buildings between valleys of mountains did little to assuage my view of China as altogether rural . I wondered from the sky, where was the city of Shenzhen?


The city is made of many greenways; a truly modern metropolis of lush parks and well ventilated subways. It boasts healthy gardens along the sidewalk and posh malls. My Uncle lives in Shekou,

across the street from Shenzhen University, a neighborhood home to many expats. Lucky me, got the first week of school off because all the freshman hasn't arrived yet and I got all the freshers as my students!

After a spot of tea and breakfast, we toured Da Mei Sha, the big beach where curious giant sculptures of rainbow angels danced across the sands. The sand was sizzling hot, but the water just perfect. Surrounding the beach were soft hills that looked like rolling mossy beds.


In our efforts to find a nice hiking trail in the mountains, we found Fairylake Gardens and an elegant white statue of Kuan Yin welcoming us into the temple. Following the windy road around the mountain side, one can see people hanging red lanterns for Mid-Autumn festival. We pass a smaller pagoda but no less grand before arriving at the gate of the main temple. Two warrior guards of massive girth stand by each side of the entrance as we are given incense to proceed inside.

I think that this journey must be fate, to meet Kuan Yin in the mountain woods, because we had not planned to come here, my Uncle only remembering this place when we are close by. There are many other Chinese deities within, four on each level coming from the four directions. The temple is not crowded but there is sometimes a small line to kneel in front of each God or Goddess. I am not sure what the procedure is to say prayers in a Buddhist temple, so I half follow what others are doing and follow my own instincts, since you must close your eyes upon praying and cannot keep watching the other worshipers.

Its been raining all day today as I try to finish this blog which I started over a week ago. Here is a photo of our driver, whose name I can't recall, lighting incense inside this house of candles. It was really hard for me to get close to this chandelier of hot candles because of the heat. Imagine, that it is already quite warm outside and then, getting more uncomfortable as you approach an iron structure with melting red candles. Not exactly peaceful. At the top of the temple, where we deposit our incense sticks, there is a wide basin of ash where many incense are still lit, sticking up like hot coals. Somehow, you've got to get your incense in there without burning your hand. But I have to admit it was beautiful with the chanting of monks over loud speakers and white pigeons fluttering around the temple.

That night I got shiatsu done for the first time. Uncle Bernard took me downtown to see his favorite doctor. He warned me that it would hurt a lot, but I didn't believe him. Most massages have never been rough enough. It was pretty painful, Ms. Masseuse was very strong. I was all sorts of sore the next day. But I guess, that's what happens when all those toxins are really worked out of your muscles and pressure points. Here is me posing with the doctor and the young masseuse.
I was invited to a birthday party by one of my Uncle's colleagues. He thought it would be a good idea if I hung out with some young people. So we had to go shopping for a suitable gift for a young lady turning 25years old. At the mall I found this curious mannequin.

I was surprised to find that many women were not only fascinated by my hairstyle but also thought it was beautiful. But I was even more surprised to find these dreads in a window display. I only wish mine could be as long and beautiful as these, but I'm pretty happy with the way they're coming out, curly and full of bumps.
Comments