idle thoughts and school life
Littering is a huge problem from what I can see. The driver who picked me up from the airport in the school car, decisively picked an unfinished construction site to deposit his empty herbal tea can as we turned the corner into the town of Wenchang. From my bedroom window, I just now observed the soft drink trucker disposing of some plastic wrapping as he climbed out of the passenger side to unload the delivery at the local canteen next to my house.
One good thing about the university that you could say is leftover from the ethics of Communist practice is that each day a different class is assigned to clean the grounds- a group of ten sweeps together. This is something expected by the environmental group on campus for like one day in the states. Another thing that might surprise you but which seems quite normal at any college is that students sleep ten to a room on straw mats. They are very congenial about it too! There's book shelves in between the bunks, and as I count I realize that there's a shelf per person as well! I guess, living in nation of over a billion people, you get used to these minimalist conditions.
P.S. Send me names, I have been told since I have the freshmen, I may have to give many of them English names! I have seven classes with about 40 students to a class, that's 280 names to be given!
Comments