Dont call attention to it but Your Life Matters
The other evening after a magnificent poetry performance by some friends of ours, I received a great compliment from a elder whose infectious mirth I admire . He described how much he appreciated my presence at his musical event the other eve (tho insisted I must watch his video that included his solo performance which I'd missed) and that although he has not known me for a long time, he finds a love, a universal love that transcends all with knowing me.
I was stunned. I faltered to admit yet still opened my mouth, flowing out that I had been struggling to feel I had anything to offer. He looked me with quiet surprise and seriousness. I have rarely seen this boisterous, laughing soul social butterfly look quite that serious as he weighed the intent of my words. I instantly felt embarrassed and held back from explaining what I meant, now wanting to seem ungrateful for his praise.
But Baba Ratu seemed to understand. He solemnly spoke very near and may have taken me by the shoulder, remarking: "It's Naked. You're an artist. you're [therefore] naked. Naked to the world and that can feel too much sometimes. But know that your presence matters."
Caught up in decisions, I rang my mother one morning as I gazed upon the surface of a pond while Autumn kissed the water with marigold oranges and sunset reds.
Mother said you have to do what's right for you. You have to take care of yourself first. Or who will you help? You need to have a solid foundation from which you can take off in other ways.
I was stunned. I faltered to admit yet still opened my mouth, flowing out that I had been struggling to feel I had anything to offer. He looked me with quiet surprise and seriousness. I have rarely seen this boisterous, laughing soul social butterfly look quite that serious as he weighed the intent of my words. I instantly felt embarrassed and held back from explaining what I meant, now wanting to seem ungrateful for his praise.
But Baba Ratu seemed to understand. He solemnly spoke very near and may have taken me by the shoulder, remarking: "It's Naked. You're an artist. you're [therefore] naked. Naked to the world and that can feel too much sometimes. But know that your presence matters."
Caught up in decisions, I rang my mother one morning as I gazed upon the surface of a pond while Autumn kissed the water with marigold oranges and sunset reds.
Mother said you have to do what's right for you. You have to take care of yourself first. Or who will you help? You need to have a solid foundation from which you can take off in other ways.

Comments