Speak Louder with Nick Cave- Art as Social Impact
If the holiday cards that Nick gave to
his mother as a boy affirmed the impact of art on a person's psyche
thru a visceral reaction to a small folded paper that he decorated,
then what do you suppose is the design of his infamous Sound Suits if
they too, are an extension of greeting cards- what is their intended
and unintended impact?
I asked Nick Cave last night, in terms
of how he views himself as a messenger rather than an artist, using
art to explore new languages and new ways of seeing- what inspiration
could he speak to that he could offer to the community-based artists
in St. Louis as we seek to also open people to the
multi-dimensionality of human perspectives? His answer was simple:
art does promote change. I'm not sure that Mr. Cave said it in quite
those words, but the message was clear- never doubt that creative
arts can have an impact on social change.
I was too nervous at the sight of him considering my question for a moment before answering, that I'm happy that I even garnered that insight from my recollection last night. I wonder if my imploring him how he might inspire artists working in the community, could've further validated his latest direction in art communicating a more direct message of social consciousness that seems rooted in very, present incidents of late, such as to be unveiled, 'TM13'- although, of course, I cannot forget Nick's emphatic answer to whether he often engaged in artist dialogue with his peers or think about how their work compares with his: “I don't seek validation because, I don't need validation to do what I do..... I don't need validation, to know my purpose.”
- never doubt that creative arts can have an impact on social change.
His statement was bold and could be viewed as emblazoned even haughty, but in the complete frankness and grace of his poise from which he spoke, conveyed an openness of heart that could not deny that Mr. Cave was sharing a truth that he'd found inherent in his journey as a successful artist in America who just so happens to also be of African descent and a native of Missouri. There was a touch of sadness when he responded to the interviewer's question regarding social identity, when he spoke to how people are afraid of him when he walks down the street, "Why," he asked, "should they be afraid of me?" [Note Mr. Cave is a distinguished looking salt and pepper man of Queenly stature] "But in fact they are afraid, of this? ....(gesturing to his body) because of how I look."
"I don't need validation,
to know my purpose."
In that sense, it seems evident that one can view his Sound Suits as mere reflections of what many of us in the movement for social justice have come to understand, as time and time again through our lived experiences; that whether we intend to or not, we each project our own sound suits that can entrap us or set us free from our skins, depending on how others perceive our external identity and how they react to the identity that they see. The only difference is, we don't get to choose which sound suit we get to wear, we can only modify it, dress it and try to be comfortable in it despite social pressures, despite being murdered for no reason other than the sound suit that we are born with and despite the establishment trying desperately to make us all believe that they are creating a world where we are not separate but equal when in fact, they are doing just the very opposite to retain their authority for a corrupt system that does not celebrate our uniqueness. It is insightful to me then, that it is because of this very oppression perhaps, that we get such mesmerizing work from artists like Nick Cave that basically say, "This is who I am. This is what I'm about. And nothing you can do or say to me, can change that."
Thank you Nick Cave, thank you very
much for sharing your message, your light. I appreciate it's shine. Please do come again. And warm blessings on your continued journey.






Comments