the great Dr. Maya Angelou - Born as Marguerite Annie Johnson: April 4, 1928, St. Louis, MO Died: May 28, 2014, Winston-Salem, NC


Phenomenal Woman

BY MAYA ANGELOU


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.

I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size

But when I start to tell them,

They think I’m telling lies.


I say,

It’s in the reach of my arms,

The span of my hips,

The stride of my step,

The curl of my lips.


I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.




I walk into a room

Just as cool as you please,

And to a man,

The fellows stand or

Fall down on their knees.

Then they swarm around me,

A hive of honey bees.

I say,

It’s the fire in my eyes,

And the flash of my teeth,

The swing in my waist,

And the joy in my feet.


I’m a woman

Phenomenally.



Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.



Men themselves have wondered

What they see in me.

They try so much

But they can’t touch

My inner mystery.

When I try to show them,

They say they still can’t see.

I say,

It’s in the arch of my back,

The sun of my smile,

The ride of my breasts,

The grace of my style.


I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.



Now you understand

Just why my head’s not bowed.

I don’t shout or jump about

Or have to talk real loud.

When you see me passing,

It ought to make you proud.

I say,

It’s in the click of my heels,

The bend of my hair,

the palm of my hand,

The need for my care.

’Cause I’m a woman


Phenomenally.


Phenomenal woman,


That’s me.


Maya Angelou, “Phenomenal Woman” from And Still I Rise. Copyright © 1978 by Maya Angelou. Used by permission of Random House, Inc.




Source: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Random House Inc., 1994)


DescriptionMaya Angelou and James Baldwin in the 1960s.
Author or
copyright owner
Unknown
Source (WP:NFCC#4)Original publication: USA Today, article "Maya Angelou celebrates her 80 years of pain and joy"; March 26, 2008.
DateMarch 26, 2008
Use in article (WP:NFCC#7)Maya Angelou
Purpose of use in article(WP:NFCC#8)This photograph illustrates the close relationship between Maya Angelou and James Baldwin. Baldwin directly inspired Angelou's artistic endeavors. Angelou referred to Baldwin as "my brother". The photo also illustrates the bohemian lifestyle of artists in the 1960s.
Not replaceable with
free media because
 (WP:NFCC#1)
There is no free image available which illustrates Angelous relationships/inspiration with other 1960-era poets.
Minimal use (WP:NFCC#3)(1) The image has been reduced in resolution by about 1/4; (2) the image has been cropped in size nearly 2x; (3) the image is the only image on this particular issue.
Respect for
commercial opportunities
(WP:NFCC#2)
The photo is a family snapshot, not a photo by a commercial photographer. The image uploaded to WP is reduced resolution, and is barely usable in any commercial context.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heal the activists, the tired, the hungry, the angry and the improper: arts and scientists can synthesize the new approach to how we imagine the human race.

The Outside and the Inside are Inseparable

Aliveness