Life and times of Eileen,
native New Yorker
gone to St. Louis to
pursue a graduate degree
in art therapy and made a home.
Summer Savings!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
So, pride month coincided with Swizz sweetheart boys on their first tour of NY. Though Brooklyn Pride was drizzly, we managed to do a lot of outreach and have funvwhile doing it too.
To "kick" it off, I attended a very timely workshop at APICHA about how to deal with unwanted advances during Pride.
The boys brought chocolate and beer courtesy of Switzerland and we spent many a night attending Spanish bar, drinking mojitos,calperinas and listening to jazz.
As I am haunted by the events that occurred late Sunday afternoon, I struggle not to feel robbed myself. The reactions of one student who was followed inside a yoga studio that I attend and work at by a lone gunned man, versus the reactions of another student who was mugged by the same man outside the studio appear on opposite ends of a spectrum. I can only make sense of it by writing about it and putting it out of my mind. We'll call her Cindy, was a young lady perhaps in her mid to late 20s who because she was immediately consoled by the other students caught off guard in the lobby by the incident- was pleasantly calm and seemed just glad that he was gone. When I approached her with a glass of sweet reddish kombucha, she welcomed it with a smile still standing in the classroom beside the spot where she had been held up for her car keys. She was not shuddering as I had half expected, but surprisingly collected. Later I found out from the teacher who had dropped down on her ...
S igh, surrender to sanity To sorrow, to suffering, to sacred. Shake success Sounds like I am. Sane, safe, sonorous. Smokes and mirrors snake my seeing Steal sometimes with 'shoulds' and 'should nots' Shhhhhhhhhhh she says. Surround your soul Allow source to surmount To flood these shallows Shift sight from sins that separate ourselves . Return to her. When in search to shoulder the pain Be still in thine center Slowly steep into the deep Open wide by sound For meaning makes our purpose.
Comments