so afraid of mosquitos



My body is covered with mosquito bites. I wake up wishing I was not my body. When I dream, it is rapid and intense. Yesterday, when taking a mid-afternoon nap, I dreamt that I found a door to another dimension that had a reality similar to our own, just slightly different. A child got lost in that dimension and I had to help the family find her. Then I became the second wife to some guy and was attending some kind of funeral service. In the dream, I realize I am looking at the future, at me walking three tall dusky gray greyhounds and leading my new family. Very strange. Itch, itch. They could be ticks. Or bed bugs. Or fleas too. I have little and big bites. From my travel photos you can never tell that I am suffering. Those are pictures of how much I am actually enjoying Hainan and its sweet, humble peoples. I have a lovely Canadian housemate whose been all around the world. She's the same age as my mother but feels and acts like a 21 year old. Next door is a wonderful family of James and Deanna Dick, who have five children, four of which live with them: James jr. 15 and loves basketball, Elizabeth who is affecitonedly called Liz, Jenai who is about to turn 9 and little Mihela who is about 2. The eldest, Beatrice is away beginning college in the states. James and Deanna are both from the south, I think the Carolinas and West Virginia but met in Eugene, Oregon where they raised the family before moving to China. The Dicks lived in Haikou for four years and now live in Wenchang. This will be their third year. Deanna and Liz took me out for coconut juice which can be served as a dessert soup from a local stand, with dates, peanuts, green peas, red beans, ice and other assorted toppings like taro. It is very nice and filling. There is a river than runs through town and divides it into two halves which revolve around a ciruclar road. Wenchang is not very large only spanning a couple of boulevards but feels much like a bustling town. There are many stores at the ground level of tall buildings. Everyone rides motorbikes and scooters, sometimes a family of four can be seen on a bike. It is amazing to watch the traffic that is unregulated by lights and not see a single crash.

Comments

Justin and Zoe said…
WOW! This is so exciting! I am so excited to read about your travles and see your photos. When I was in Thailand in April I got a some bed bug bites. The key is that they are in a straight line and intch more than anything ever. Lots of love to you! zoe

Popular posts from this blog

Heal the activists, the tired, the hungry, the angry and the improper: arts and scientists can synthesize the new approach to how we imagine the human race.

The Outside and the Inside are Inseparable

Aliveness